One of the most valuable features we added to the studio in the last few years is the introduction of Essential Oils.
The sweet fragrance and sensory experience of having specially blended Essential Oils applied to your skin can offer many great benefits, including:
- Clearing away negative thoughts
- Awakening creativity and inspiration
- Deep relaxation
- Release of tension
- Stimulation of lymph and circulation
- Clearing of blockages in the sinus as well as, yes, the colon!
How are Essential Oils used in Detox Massages and Colon Therapy?
The oils are applied to the skin during a relaxing abdominal massage and throughout a Colon Hydrotherapy session bringing about relief from any tension or cramping which is usually brought about from a build up of ‘wind’.
Our detox massage is approximately 75 minutes and consists of techniques such as skin brushing, Swedish or deep tissue massage and lymphatic drainage. We first prepare the body by using quality skin brushes to stimulate the lymphatic system and remove dead skin cells. We then apply a delicious blend of quality Essential Oils designed to relax, stimulate and aid in the detox process. Think Lavender, White May fynbos & Orange Blossom!
We also offer a 90-minute deeply relaxing massage experience, using Essential Oils and techniques such as Shaitsu and Lomi Lomi. This includes an Indian Head Massage and Reflexology. Enjoy the stretch and release, while feeling the increase of blood flow and vital Chi energy move through the body. If you enjoy heat and a little sweat to aid in the detox process, ask about the Ozone stream sauna available at your request for no extra charge when you book one of our packages.
The many uses of Essential Oils
Extracted from various parts of plants, including leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots and peels, Essential Oils have been used for thousands of years in many different cultures.
They can be used to treat many ailments such as skin conditions, digestive disorders, insomnia, immune dysfunction and stress-related conditions.
Essential Oils can also be used around the home for cleaning purposes and to help eliminate bad odours. For instance by mixing a cup of baking soda with a few drops of essential oil like lavender and lemon and sprinkling it over the carpet to eliminate odours such as pet smells. A wonderful way to freshen up your wardrobe would be to prepare cotton wool balls with drops of lavender, rose geranium and basil and slipping them into pockets and under piles of clothes – keeps them smelling fresh and helps ward off those pesky moths!
Oils used at Indalo Health
Click to view my 5 favourite oils that I like to use in my practice.
- Treats insomnia
- Reduces nervous tension and exhaustion
- Relieves muscular pain and inflammation
- Aids in digestion
- Strengthens immunity
- Effective in treating acne
- Boosts immunity
- Relaxes muscular and nervous spasms
- Treats constipation
- Provides relief from inflammation
- Improves the health of the skin
- Alleviates the effects of menopause
- Improves circulation
- Boosts kidney health
- Reduces blood pressure
- Regenerates cells
- Treats depression and anxiety
- Helps eliminate intestinal worms
- Stimulates digestion
- Helps remove gasses from stomach and colon Relieves muscular cramps and spasms
- Improves circulation
- Aids in the detox process
- An effective antioxidant
- Cleanses the intestine and helps remove infection
- Treats indigestion
- Eases respiratory problems, headaches, nausea, fever, stomach and bowel spasms
- Beneficial for IBS sufferers as it eases abdominal cramps and is effective in helping to relieve nausea and vomiting
- Helpful in gastric emptying and allergic rhinitis
Where to buy Essential Oils
I prefer to use local and organic oils and I am always on the lookout for something a little special. For more information on buying good quality oils in Cape Town, See www.stillpure.co.za or email email@example.com
I also highly recommend Jean Southey Essential Oils which can be purchased from most health store around Cape Town.